Apr 12, 2023
While interceptor technology for the marine industry has been around for decades, it’s still a relatively new concept to recreational boats and their owners. Imtra has been offering Zipwake interceptors since 2017, and while more and more people are familiar with the product, there are still a lot of questions. So we compiled a list of the most common questions we get regarding Zipwake and answered them!
What size boats are Zipwake systems intended for?
Zipwake has two different Series of products, Series S & Series E, and those two product ranges cover boats from 20’ to 100’, with Series S typically recommended for boats in the 20’ to 60’ range and Series E for boats in the 50’ to 100’ range. There are exceptions of course, and every installation is different, so it’s best to consult with the experts at Imtra or a Zipwake dealer to go over the specifics of your boat.
At what speeds are Zipwake interceptors effective?
Zipwake interceptors are designed for planing and semi-planing boats, so boats that cruise at any speed less than 10 knots will likely not see the intended benefits of the system. On very fast boats, Zipwake’s interceptor blades can be damaged by speeds over 60 knots, so if the system is in Auto mode, the blades will automatically retract at that speed, and redeploy as the boat slows down.
To read more FAQs like the examples listed below, please click here
- Will Zipwake interceptors create drag and reduce boat speed?
- How does the cost of Zipwake compare to trim tabs?
- Is Zipwake difficult to install?
- What power supply is needed for a Zipwake system?
- How many interceptors will my boat need?
- Can I mount interceptors in pockets where trim tabs used to be?
- Can I control a Zipwake system manually?
- Does Zipwake need to be connected to an external GPS?
- What seasonal maintenance is involved?
- Can Zipwake be repaired if damaged or does the system need to be replaced?
- What is the difference between straight, V-shaped, chine & tunnel interceptors?
- Can a Zipwake system improve fuel economy?
To learn more about Zipwake Dynamic Trim Control Systems, feel free to reach out to us with any questions.