Jan 25, 2017
The ABCMI evolved from the West Coast Shipbuilding and Repair Forum which has existed since 2006 and brought the shipbuilding and ship repair industry in BC together and achieved positive outcomes for the industry including:
• The creation of Marine Fitter and Marine Electrician trades
• The conduct of a BC Workforce Table on Shipbuilding and Ship Repair
• Several detailed reports on labour market information and economic impact and opportunities
• A comprehensive Human Resources Strategy for the industry
• Community and aboriginal outreach strategies
• The creation of the Industrial Marine Training and Applied Research Centre (IMTARC)
• New curriculum required by the industry including entry level training
The Association represents a diverse group in the marine industry in B.C including professions, services and supplies that support all of the activities taking place on the water. To categorizing by activity, there is:
• The recreational industry – fishing, sailing and powerboating, plus tourism activities like charter boats, cruise ships and whale watching;
• The transport industry – ferries, water taxis and sea busses to move people plus tugs, barges and short sea vessels to move goods;
• The resource export industry moving grain from the Prairies, forest products from B.C.’s Interior and metals, minerals and energy resources from across Canada and the U.S. mid-west out through the Pacific Gateway;
• The commercial import/export industry – carrying manufactured goods to and from our ports via the most economical and environmentally friendly mode of transport in the world; and
• The safety and protection industry – the Canadian Coast Guard, the Royal Canadian Navy, Western Canada Marine Response Corporation and others, such as the RCMP Marine Services and the Canadian Lifeboat Institution.
The Associations Objectives are as follows:
• Workforce Development: ABCMI will champion relationships and strategies which permanently enhance the development of stable, satisfying and desirable careers within British Columbia’s industrial marine sector in sufficient numbers to achieve the goals of the sector.
• Sector Strategy: Through dialogue with the Government of British Columbia, ABCMI will assist in the refinement and implementation of a sector strategy which enhances the capabilities and reach of British Columbia’s industrial marine sector.
• Supply Chain Development: ABCMI will assist the broadening of British Columbia’s marine supply chain, focusing on areas in which our sector can be internationally, nationally and locally competitive.
• Establishing Member Services: ABCMI will establish the services and benefits expected by members, and deliver the value that supports member’s continued participation in the Association.