May 10, 2018
The Canadian Sailing Hall of Fame and the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston announce the 2018 Inductees:
• Ian Bruce – Renowned International 14 sailor, two-time winner of the prestigious Prince of Wales Cup in England, two-time Olympic sailor, founder of Performance Sailcraft, builder of International 14s, initiator and builder of the Laser. Officer of the Order of Canada. (RSTLYC)
• Don Green – Winner of 1978 Canada’s Cup in C&C Evergreen, member of 1979 Canadian Admirals’ Cup team in 1979 and survivor of the devastating 1979 Fastnet Race, SORC campaigns in Frers designed Evergreen II, America’s Cup Challenger in 12 MetreTrue North. Member of the Order of Canada (RHYC)
• Derek Hatfield – Renowned single-handed Round The World Racer winning first in class in the 2001/02 Around Alone, raced the 2008 Vendee Globe and in 2010 Derek once again took the podium in the VELUX 5 Oceans single-handed Round The World Race, Recipient of Rolex Sailor of the Year; won Sail Canada’s and Ontario Sailing’s Sailor of the Year awards in 2003.
• David Howard – Winner of 1954 Canada’s Cup in the 8-Metre Venture II, Skipper 1956 Olympics in Dragons, Sailing Master on off-shore racers Inishfree and Bonaventure (Bermuda races and SORCs), Skipper and syndicate member of True North in 1969 Canada’s Cup trials, Skipper and Syndicate member of 1975 Canada’s Cup challenger Marauder, Past Commodore and Honourary Life Member of RCYC, one of the original four founders of the Nonsuch class (RCYC)
• 1932 Olympic Silver Medalists – Eight Metres – Ernest Cribb, Peter Gordon, George Gyles, Harold Jones. Ronald Maitland, Hubert Wallace – (RVYC)
• 1932 Olympic Bronze Medalists – Six Metres – Gardner Boultbee, Kenneth Glass, Philip Rogers, Gerald Wilson – (RVYC)
The Canadian Sailing Hall of Fame is a collaboration between The Canadian Sailing Hall of Fame, the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston and Sail Canada. Inductees to the Hall of Fame must be Canadian citizens, and can be inducted in any of the three categories of Sailor, Technical, or Contributor.
The inductions ceremony will take place at Kingston Yacht Club, 1 Maitland Street, Kingston, ON, at 2:00 – 5:00 PM Sunday, August 19th, 2018. About the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston
Founded in 1975, the Marine Museum’s mission is to inspire an enduring connection to the maritime history of Kingston and the Great Lakes. The museum holds a vast collection of artefacts, archival materials, periodicals and ship plans, including the C&C Yachts and George Cuthbertson Collections. www.marmuseum.ca