June 28, 2018
I’ve got a wee issue with your recent article
“Melanie and Allan Macdonald are self-taught sailors who owned a 10’ single hull and 17’ Hobie Cat in Alberta. They sailed on Lake Newell but now they are “land-locked” in Calgary so they do not have as much time, nor waterfront access, to sail as often as they would like. They still dream of selling their home in retirement and living aboard a sailboat.”
Saying there is no water access to go sailing in Calgary is not helpful to growing the sailing community.
The Glenmore Sailing Club in Calgary is having its 60th anniversary in 2019.
Here’s a bit of a highlight reel of the Club…
• Our members founded what is today the largest sailing school in Canada
• We’re the highest sailing club in Canada
• One of our members won both the Canadian National Championship and the US National Championship in a Fireball in 2017
• One of our members raced Transpac in 2017 winning his division (in a Hobie 33)
• Our members regularly participate in west coast racing, one member won his division this year (7th overall of 86 monohulls)
• We formed the Disabled Sailing Association of Alberta
• A former member collaborated with Don Martin to build the Martin 16 sailboat for PWD. This same Club member also designed the sip and puff mechanism enabling quadriplegics to sail the Martin 16 independently.
• In 2017 we formed a partnership with the local Scouts Canada Council and have 577 kids registered for a new “Introduction to Sailing” program (shore and water components). Based on the success of the program this May and June, we’re opening up sessions in September for more youth to participate. Any sailing club in the country could do this… Sail Canada and Scouts Canada collaborated to create an Outdoor Adventure Skills Program with sailing badges
• We’re launching high school sailing and collegiate sailing as part of our 60th anniversary planning
• We’re bringing Warrior Sailing and the free Basic Training Camp learn to sail program to Western Canada in 2019
I’m hopeful that there might be an opportunity to have a conversation / write articles to assist with building the sailing community and awareness of sailing in Calgary.
Nollind van Bryce
Communications, GSC Board
60th Anniversary Celebration Chair (1959-2019)
SJ21 Class Captain
Education, Recreation, Racing and Social Events
Follow and like us on social media.
Visit glenmoresailingclub.com for more about:
• Youth Summer Sailing Camps and Race Program
• Our calendar of this year’s recreation, racing, education and social events
• Adult Learn to Sail
• Scouts Canada
• Warrior Sailing (active military and veterans)
• Collegiate Sailing
• Wednesday Night Racing and Regattas
• Sunday Fall Series
• Family Friday Evenings
• Rent a sailboat (members)
Subscribe to Calgary’s Sailing News for all the latest and newest info about sailing