Sept 10, 2020
Schooner Cove Yacht Club through their staff Capt. and other volunteers organize cruises so members can experience the best of the coastal waters and enjoyed camaraderie of cruising with the group. During the spring and summer and fall, they are encouraging members and transient boaters to plan ahead. Schooner Cove Yacht Club is situated between Nanaimo and Parksville on the east coast of Vancouver Island.
Their Cruising Stations are open for transient boaters but it is important to note not all their amenities are available. If you are heading out cruising it would be wise to ask what is available at the time of booking.
Their experience so far has been:
• John Henry’s Resort and Marina is fully operational and under the new management is doing great!
• LadySmith Maritime Society Community Marina has limited hours for washrooms and showers and the cafe has just opened recently
• Otter Bay Marina is fully open but the pool has a limit and you need to book a time in advance
• Salt Spring Marina is open but no showers although Moby’s is open (limited days. Hastings House is open if you are looking for fine dining https://www.hastingshouse.com/dining/
• Gorge Harbour Marina Resort is fully open with limits on pool, the restaurant is take out only open 2 -8 and taco truck is there from 8 -3 pm. Live music most days.
• Genoa Bay Marina Resort is fully open but the restaurant only open Wed. – Sun.
They have reciprocal moorage agreements with other yacht clubs as well but you will need to check to see who is open for receiving transient boaters. Nanaimo Yacht club is presently NOT accepting but Vancouver Rowing Club is (no showers or gym) open with limited washroom hours.
They would like to encourage members to venture out and support the marinas during these times. Things are not exactly normal but they are all doing an excellent job to help everyone enjoy this boating season!