Check These Great Opportunities for working in the Marine Industry in Canada
From Atlantic to Pacific and all points in between, Canada’s marine industry needs a growing number of young people to enter the business. Opportunities in sales, marketing, marina management, boat building, repair and refit are all available. Some opportunities are with small or family businesses, some are with multi-national corporations. If you know a bright young person who is looking for a solid and rewarding future, share this newsletter with them.
AdAstra Media Inc, and Kerrwil Publications Limited can assume no responsibility or liability for the positions posted or the accuracy of the advertising. These career opportunities can be withdrawn at any time without notice and this service is provided as a service to our readers and the industry only.
If you are interested in submitting a job posting to Canadian Yachting please use the contact info listed below and send us your info in the following format:
1. Position available or job title
2. Location of work
3. Describe the type and scope of work
4. Minimum qualifications required and compensation offered
5. Contact information for candidates to respond
Not subscribed yet? Click here.
Job Title: Marine Service Manager
Location of work: Granville Island, Vancouver, BC
Description of work:
RARE & EXCITING OPPORTUNITY for a top rated marine Service Manager for our busy service division. Specialty Yachts’ service manager must be an experienced leader who:
· has a proven track record in leading and developing service personnel
· develops and maintains excellent relationships with customers, industry partners and sales and service colleagues
· focuses on the bottom line and develops and executes on service strategies to grow profitability
· is a technical expert who can assess, troubleshoot and facilitate technical issues
· identifies, sources and facilities the ordering of parts
· is accountable for estimating, timely invoicing and understands financing and accounting controls and metrics
· can recommend systems and processes to enable efficiencies and strengthen standards
· is focused on the health and safety of employees
Minimum qualifications & compensation:
5 - 10 years’ experience leading a profitable service division
5 - 10 years’ experience in the marine industry, both hands-on repair experience and broad knowledge of all technical aspects of pleasure craft: electrical, electronics, rigging, mechanical systems, steering systems, hydraulics, pumps and plumbing, propellers and propulsion equipment, galvanic protection, davit systems and trade math
A broad understanding of composites, wood, gelcoats, paints, adhesives and elastomeric compounds for the purpose of detailing, finishing and vessel structure
Experience operating power and sail vessels
The ability to foster, develop and grow customer relationships and achieve 100% customer satisfaction
Excellent communications skills
Strong management and organizational skills
Verse in PC software packages
Compensation: Competitive compensation and benefits package.
Job Posted: July 15, 2016
May 10, 2016
Job Title: Junior Sail Instructor
Following Position Exists:
•OPTI & Keelboat Instructors (Keelboat and Opti programs aged 6-15 yrs)
•CANSail 1&2 Instructors (Dinghy Programs aged 9-15 yrs)
Location of work:
Harbourfront Centre Sailing and Power Boating is a well established Sail & Power Club with a large membership base, conveniently located downtown in Toronto on the Harbourfront, just south of the Rogers Centre and CN Tower. Our clubhouse boasts access to over 90 sail and power crafts. HCSP has seen over 20 years of successful sailing instruction, with close to 1000 junior sailors coming through our programs each season. Currently we are seeking qualified sailing instructors to help deliver our 2016 junior sail program.
Description of work:
We are looking for responsible, experienced and motivated instructors, as within your role you will be required to interchange with the various Junior Sail programs that we offer. We look for applications from people who can demonstrate energy, enthusiasm and the ability to relate to young people. We offer comprehensive centre training to give you the skills and confidence to do your job’s other core activities.
•A minimum or equivalent of CANSail 1 + 2 instructor in Canada or Governing body equivalent (RYA, AYF, etc) and power boat experience are required
•Available to work from June 27 to August 26, 2016
•Hold a valid Toronto Harbour Licence and Pleasure Craft Operators Card ( we can assist with this )
•Current Fist Aid & CPR Certification
•At least 16 years old as of July 2, 2015
•Police check and vulnerable sector screening
•Strong sail programming, leadership and organizational skills
•Enjoy working with children and previous experience working in a camp setting with children in an asset
•Experience with on land, sailing themed games and activities
•Keelboat, racing and regatta experience are assets
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 10TH, 2016
Please send your resume Quoting Job Ref. No. 16J097-ET to:
Alastair Carlow- Head of Sailing & Emma Wright-HCSP General Manager
235 Queens Quay West
Toronto, ON M5J 2G8
Apr 18, 2016
Territory Sales Manager
Location of work:
Marlon Recreational Products Ltd.
Description of work:
Marlon Recreational Products Ltd.has an opening in our Sales Department for a Territory Sales Manager.
Marlon provides various products to the Marine and Motorsport industries. We are growing and are looking for a Territory Sales Manager in our Chilliwack, BC head office to grow with the team.
Territory Sales Managers are the heart of Marlon. They are highly motivated professionals with a proven track record in developing and maintaining positive customer relationships. They expand dealer channels by prospecting the territory to recruit, select and train new dealers. Provide excellent customer service to dealers by facilitating training on products, pricing, sales promotions, assist in giving direction on growing the dealers business, shipping schedules and order needs etc. while being mindful of sales growth and profitability of each sales transaction. Provide information to management by recapping sales call activity, reporting business opportunities results, trends and competitive information. Contribute to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed in the various branches.
Key Responsibilities Qualifications and Skills include but are not limited to the following –
•Ability to travel to build relationships with key dealers, develop new and existing dealers, call on competitive dealers.
•Identify new products and potential up-selling to the dealer network.
•Develop customer base and sales leads by making cold and warm calls.
•Enter orders into the system.
•Maintain knowledge on current products and learning about new products.
•Identify product(s) the customer requires that may not be stocked by the company and assist in developing or sourcing new product(s).
•Provide pricing quotations and follow-up on quotes.
•Three years of selling experience in a dealer/distributor network. Industry experience preferred but not necessary.
•Strong understanding of solution selling vs. price.
•The role includes a strong understanding of sales margins, product sourcing, pricing and negotiations.
•Post-secondary courses in Sales and/or marketing preferred.
•Must be proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- High income potential with attractive salary and commission package with benefits.
April 21, 2016
1. Position available or job title: Field Service Engineer Canada & Alaska
With Volvo Penta, a world-leading supplier of engines and complete drive systems for marine and industrial applications, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals working with energy, passion and respect for the individual to become the world leader in sustainable transport solutions.
The Field Service Engineer Canada & Alaska, has a key role in the Volvo Group | Volvo Penta Division in order to provide direction to the assigned dealer base ensuring effective and profitable service operations as well as monitoring user satisfaction in all service business development and customer satisfaction initiatives. He/She act as a business consultant to assist in process improvement and customer support for customers and assigned dealers. He/She support field problem solving in areas of quality and technical support, acting as strong liaison between dealers and the manufacturer. This position requires representation of Volvo Penta marine leisure, marine commercial and industrial segments. The position also requires a high degree of financial confidentiality and personal integrity.
Location of work:
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Alaska
• Work with the assigned dealers’ management groups and principals to ensure effective operations are provided to service customers and provide recommendations of area to improve and monitor progress;
• Promote the training and usage of appointed programs to improve the overall customer experience;
• Assist dealer in minimizing customer down time by improving dealer processes within the customer service area;
• Ensure Dealer maintains or exceeds minimum Dealer Operating Standards (DOS);
• Assist the Dealer Distribution team by providing accurate DOS reports;
• Document Activities and Actions in order to track progress during follow up reviews;
• Work with the Dealer Distribution team in searching out and renewing service locations whenever necessary and/or recommend non-renewals or terminations whenever necessary;
• Provide dealers with training on preferred business practices using Volvo Penta electronic systems for Volvo Penta Partner Network (VPPN), Unified Claims Handling Process (UCHP), Electronic Parts Catalogue (EPC), Learning Management System (LMS), Vodia (Volvo Penta diagnostic tool), and ARGUS (Volvo Penta electronic case management system);
• Investigate dealer/distributor/customer product complaints and make on-site decisions to resolve them expeditiously and within VPA warranty and goodwill guidelines;
• Investigate safety incidents and address then into the quality process;
• Support dealers on complex service issues;
• Provide management with weekly and bimonthly schedules via MS Outlook Calendar;
• Provide management reports on product quality issues via ARGUS;
• Ensure that all necessary paperwork, including ARGUS case details, major component orders, and warranty authorizations are processed in a timely manner;
• Perform limited audits of the dealer’s warranty department to ensure compliance to Volvo Penta policies;
• Develop and maintain a high level of best business practices and technical proficiency in marine leisure, marine commercial and industrial products;
• Achieve quantitative objectives within assigned area of responsibility as assigned by the Manager of Service, Region Americas;
• Perform other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned by management and deemed vital to the achievement of the Volvo Penta business plan.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Minimum (5) five years marine and/or industrial retail trade experience or equivalent, preferably in a service management role;
• At least 1 year experience in retail dealership operations preferred;
• Technical Certificates preferred – e.g. auto, truck, equipment, engines, drives, etc.;
• Volvo Penta certifications are a plus.
• Bilingual in English and French is a plus;
• High ability to work independently;
• Analytical Skills;
• Problem Solving/Decision Making;
• Negotiation Skills;
• External Relationships/Networking;
• Strong working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Products;
• Availability to travel Internationally.
• Requires standing, walking, lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds;
• Requires frequent walking, stooping, kneeling, bending, and crouching;
• Requires frequent out-of-town travel, including international travel (90%).
Penta Canada, a division of Volvo Group Canada Inc. offers a competitive salary with an excellent benefits package that includes health, life, dental and vision plans as well as a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) with a company match.
Send us your resume at:
Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action employer. E.O.E./M/F/D/V .This is standard for all job descriptions; it should not be deleted or altered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general level of work being performed by persons assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of the job. Printed copies may not be the most current. Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action employer. E.O.E./M/F/D/V.