Every year, tens of thousands of Canadians take action against aquatic debris by participating in the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup, presented by Loblaw Companies Limited. Jointly led by the Vancouver Aquarium and WWF, this initiative focuses on educating and empowering people to make a difference through community cleanup events. Join us Sept. 21-29, 2013.
The staggering figures around the litter collected during last year’s Shoreline Cleanup, and the past 20 years, not only reflects the effective work of this program to date, but also the dire need that still exists for even more participants to join this year’s cleanup efforts. Until we effectively eradicate the need for our campaign to exist, there is still much work to do. For example:
• During last year’s cleanup, more than 57,000 Canadians cleaned over 3,100 kilometers of shoreline (the approximate distance between Vancouver, B.C. and Thunder Bay, O.N., or 75.5 marathons)
• Last year, more than 136,000 kilograms of litter (the approximate weight of 30 large school buses) was picked up on our shorelines
• During our 20-year history, approximately 1.2 million kilograms of shoreline litter – the approximate weight of 259 school buses – has been collected
• More statistics and information on Shoreline Cleanup, and full media kit, can be found on our website here
Registration for this fall’s cleanup is easy; participants can sign up simply by visiting ShorelineCleanup.ca.
Weight of litter removed- 136,036 kg
Distance of shoreline cleaned- 3,102 km
Top 5 Litter Items
1. Cigarettes/Cigarette Filters 416,955
2. Food Wrappers 98,835
3. Plastic Bags 69,790
4. Caps and Lids 69,725
5. Plastic Beverage Bottles 38,202
Trash bags filled 12,895
Recycling bags filled 3,639
Bill Dixon, Chairman of the Jury, presented the prestigious DAME Award 2014 at the commencement of METS this morning to the Steering Traveller from Jefa Steering ApS of Denmark. The jury praised the product for the way it offers a genuine solution to chain/wiresteering. In addition to this overall winner, six category winners of the DAME were also announced during the Breakfast Briefing, the official start of METS 2014 which will be held until Thursday 20 November in Amsterdam RAI.
You have all run in a fog at some time or other ...