I don't know about you, but I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy – when I'm driving the boat, I like to drive the boat! I keep a sharp lookout for other vessels, bouys and markers, but also for any kind of debris in the water. I want to be able to take evasive action if I need to and as a general rule, I'm driving a power boat and traveling at speed, not just cruising.
Compact Air Dryer Tackles Moisture Problems On Board
Damp outdoor conditions take a toll on the inside of boats and RVs, making mold, mildew and corrosion problems inevitable. Such challenges are easily controlled with Davis Instruments'
Air-Dryr, which works with heat and natural convection to keep indoor air dry. Air-Dryr tackles moisture by drawing in cool, damp air through its bottom panel. Once the air is heated to the point that moisture is held in suspension, it's released through the perforated top surface. Air-Dryr has no moving parts to break down, and is designed to fight moisture problems 24 hours a day. The UL-listed unit runs off 110/120V power and draws no more energy than a light bulb.
Deck-Guard Announces Debut of Solar-powered Bird Repeller for Use on Boats.
Deck-Guard, llc. announced the launch of their new ultrasonic, solar-powered bird repeller for use on boats. “Ask yourself this question...As a boat owner, how much time do you spend cleaning your boat of bird droppings?” asks George Telheiro, CEO of Deck-Guard, llc. “Wouldn't you rather be spending that time enjoying your boat? Absolutely! That’s what Deck-Guard offers the pleasure boater.”
Masts, spreaders, canvas covers, radars, and railings on boats provide perfect perches for birds. Bird droppings can stain canvas covers and other surfaces and can be difficult to clean. Gulls, cormorants, pelicans and pigeons commonly use boats to land on. If neglected, bird droppings can stain
Delorme inReach App Extends Smartphone Capabilities
While your average smartphone is great in places where people drink lattes (the 10% of the world that has cell phone coverage), with inReach you’re connected everywhere. Whether you’re crossing Antarctica or the Sahara, you’ll have reliable coverage on the other 90% of the earth.
Digital Yacht Puts A Wireless “Wi-Fi” Hot Spot On Your Boat
Wireless is the “buzz” in marine electronics with more and more applications available for wireless devices such as iPhones and iPads. With lots of onboard systems using legacy NMEA 0183 data, Digital Yacht America has devised a NMEA to WiFi adaptor – a small black box unit which converts traditional NMEA navigation and instrument data into a wireless TCP/IP feed. Essentially, it creates a local WiFi hot spot on board your boat which your mobile device can access. Many software applications allow data to be read through an individual TCP/IP port (e.g., iNAVx for the iPhone/iPad) or SmarterTrack 2011 PC navigation software.
Exposure’s X2 searchlight endorsed by the Norwegian Sea Rescue Association
The Norwegian Sea Rescue Association (NSRA), Redningsselskapet, has recommended the British made Exposure Marine X2 search light for the professional and recreational marine market, by adding it to their existing range of recommended safety equipment.
The NSRA, Norway’s equivalent to the British based RNLI, a voluntary, membership-based organisation that aims to save lives and protect the environment, runs a fleet of high speed rescue craft based at 57 stations along the Norwegian coast. The X2 is to be used and tested throughout the fleet. Operating in near arctic conditions, man overboard (MOB) and rescue situations become ever more life threatening due to the cold. The NSRA chose the X2 due to its MOB related features, including a brilliant 700 lumens searchlight, as well as its high-powered SOS and Strobe facility easily visible from over